YARC Assessment - Product Range, York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension
Required qualificationsQTS/QTLS or equivalent
or Specialist Teacher/Tutor
or HCPC Registered Practising, Chartered, Clinical, Forensic or Educational Psychologist
or Psychologist, SaLT or OT
or Professional Body Membership e.g. DA Guild MDG
or Working in a school or college
or Loan Scheme
YARC Assessment - York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension
The YARC Assessment (York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension) is a one-to-one, diagnostic reading assessment. It enables SENCOs, teachers and learning support teachers to assess pupils' reading and comprehension skills from an early age through to the end of secondary school.
The YARC Assessment diagnostic test is split into primary and secondary editions.
- A suitable assessment for measuring the effectiveness of a specific intervention programme, both before and after it's implementation.
- Obtain in-depth, diagnostic assessment of a pupil's reading and comprehension skills.
- Identify specific problems and inform appropriate interventions.
- Assess EAL pupils and those requiring extra time in examinations.
- Inform educational planning and benchmarking against the national average.
- Access to a free online Score Conversion Tool.
- Primary - Early Reading and Passage Reading (YARC Primary)
Primary - YARC Assessment (York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension)
The Primary YARC assessment can be accessed as either an:
- Early Reading Set, including early reading test materials, early years manual and 10 record forms.
- Passage Reading Set, including passage reading test materials, passage reading manual and 10 record forms.
- or the Complete kit, including both of the above sets.
- Additional Passage Reading Record Forms (pk 10) can also be purchased for each of the sets.
YARC Assessment Primary Description
Assess pupils' reading skills from an early age through to the end of primary. YARC Primary focuses on decoding, sight reading, and reading comprehension.
YARC Early Reading - The Early Reading suite comprises of four short tests which have been designed specifically for 4 to 7 year olds or older children with reading difficulties.
The tests include Letter Sound Knowledge, Early Word Recognition, Sound Deletion and Sound Isolation.
Futhermore, it assesses a child's phonological skills, alphabetic knowledge and word reading in a time-efficient and flexible way.
YARC Assessment Passage Reading - The Passage Reading suite offers both fiction and non-fiction texts.
In addition, the Passage Reading suite has been developed to assess the accuracy, rate and comprehension of oral reading skills in children between 5 – 11 years 11 month.
Age Range: Early Reading, 4 to 7 years, Passage Reading, 5 to 11 years.
Administration: Individual - used after a group test
Testing time: 20-30 mins
Secondary - YARC Assessment (York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension)
The Secondary Kit comes as a complete set, including Passage Reading Test Material, Passage Reading Manual and Passage Reading Record Forms (10).
In addition, The Dyslexia Action Shop also stocks additional Passage Reading Record Forms (pk 10) for YARC Assessment Secondary.
The assessment includes:
- Suite of fiction and non-fiction passages for 11-16 year olds.
- Silent reading assessment providing Standard Age Scores, age equivalent scores and percentile ranks for comprehension, rate and fluency.
- Unique summarisation task geared at students progressing to public examinations
- A version of the Single Word Reading Test is also included as a benchmarking test.
YARC Assessment Secondary Description
The York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension Passage Reading Secondary gathers a wide range of information on the individual's reading skills. The test comprises a series of prose passages – both fiction and non-fiction – that enables the assessment of a student's reading comprehension and fluency in a systematic way across the secondary school years.
YARC Assessment Secondary is a good way to:
- monitor post-level assessment.
- evidence the impact of Pupil Premium spend.
- assess and monitor pupil progress through an in-depth analysis of a pupil's reading ability.
- identify specific problems and inform appropriate interventions.
- provide Standard Age Scores, age equivalent scores and percentile ranks for comprehension, rate and fluency.
Age Range: 11 years to 16 years
Administration: Individual - used after a group test
Testing time: 20-30 minutes
Published Date: 2009
Publisher: GL Assessment
Want to qualify to use this test?
Real Group offer a range of courses that will enhance your assessment skills, develop your role within SEN and will ultimately enable your students to make effective progress, helping them achieve their goals.
Take your competence in psychometric testing to the next level with the gold standard qualification for the education profession – Certificate of Competence in Educational Testing – set by the British Psychological Society (BPS).
Looking to become an Access Arrangements Assessor? Learn how to use psychometric testing instruments effectively (CCET) and apply them in exam access arrangements (AAC) confidently and competently with the Certificate in Psychometric Testing, Assessment and Access Arrangements (CPT3A).